In the 19th century lights on these two columns served as aids to navigation to guide vessels in the Neva River. Today they are lit with gas lights for special occasions. The style of the columns comes from ancient Greece and Rome where rostral columns were erected to commemorate naval victories. The shafts of the
columns were adorned with "rostra" or prows of captured ships. At the feet of these columns are stone figures personifying the rivers Volga, Neva and Volkhov.
Tower Height: 105
Description of Tower: Stone columns with copper rostra.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1811
Date Present Tower Built: 1811
Current Use: Historic landmarks.
Open To Public? Grounds only.