Friends of Windmill Point
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 479
This lighthouse was originally built as a windmill; it was converted to a lighthouse in 1873. The Friends of Windmill Point opened the Battle of the Windmill National Historic Site to the public in 1996. The tower was occupied by a party of American adventurers in November 1838, leading to the "Battle of the Windmill." This was one of many invasions by the United States that followed the unsuccessful Canadian rebellions of 1837.
Description of Tower: Conical stone tower with red lantern.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1873
Date Present Tower Built: 1820s
Date Deactivated: 1978
Current Use: Museum, shop.
Open To Public? Yes.
A small gift shop and interpretation area are open in summer on the main floor and exhibit panels are installed at the top of the tower. Visitors may climb to an observation level just below the lantern room. There is a small admission fee. Open weekends in June & September, open daily July through August.
The lighthouse is located on Highway 2 (King Street) about 1.3 miles east of Prescott.