U.S. Coast Guard
This isolated station was not well-liked by Coast Guardsmen, who called it "The Rock." The lighthouse is seven miles from Gibraltar and 28 miles from Detroit.
Tower Height: 49
Height of Focal Plane: 55
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 6 seconds.
Description of Tower: Conical cast iron
This light is operational
Attached fog signal building.
Date Established: 1885
Date Present Tower Built: 1885
Date Automated: 1979
Optics: Fourth order Fresnel lens (removed and replaced by modern optic, now at Michigan Maritime Museum in South Haven, MI).
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat only.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Jack O'Malley (Coast Guard, c. 1957); Bob Johnson (Coast Guard, c. 1972); Larry Doss (Coast Guard, 1976-1978)