Commissioners of Irish Lights
The first lighthouse in this vicinity, known as Copeland Lighthouse, was built in 1711 from stones quarried on the island by convicts.
Tower Height: 123
Height of Focal Plane: 121
Characteristic and Range: Four white flashes, separated by 5 seconds, every 30 seconds.
Description of Tower: Conical stone tower with black and white band, white lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1884
Date Present Tower Built: 1884
Date Automated: 1996
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Keepers: John O’Donnell (1884-?), Henry Hammond (?), Tom Hammond (gas maker, 1905-1925), Dick Power (1947, died in service), Reggie Hamilton (1951, 1957-1964, 1975-1984)