Port of Lorain Foundation, Inc.
Contact Address Information:
200 West Erie Ave.
This lighthouse was scheduled to be demolished in 1965, but it has been saved by local preservationists. It has been gradually restored by the Port of Lorain Foundation, launched in 1990 by the Lorain Port Authority. The Black River Historical Society in Lorain has leased a building near the breakwater to be used as a lighthouse museum.
Tower Height: 51
Height of Focal Plane: 58
Characteristic and Range: Red flash every 4 seconds.
Description of Tower: White, square concrete tower attached to keeper's dwelling.
This light is operational
Integral 2.5 story concrete keeper's house on concrete pier.
1837: Wooden tower; 1857 and 1875: new towers.
Date Established: 1836
Date Present Tower Built: 1917
Optics: 1917: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat only.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: James Connolly (1898-?), William Deverick (Coast Guard, 1957-1960).