Hudson-Athens Lighthouse Preservation Society
Contact Address Information:
P. O. Box 145
In 1982 a group of citizens from Columbia and Greene Counties formed the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse Preservation Society. A 20-year lease was signed in 1984 between the Lighthouse Society and the U.S. Coast Guard. The society is responsible for the restoration, preservation, and operation of the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 30
Height of Focal Plane: 46
Characteristic and Range: Flashing green every 2.5 seconds, visible for 4 miles.
Description of Tower: Sqaure brick and stone tower attached to keeper's dwelling.
This light is operational
1874 attached 1.5 story keeper's dwelling
Date Established: 1874 (11/1/1874)
Date Present Tower Built: 1874
Date Automated: 1949 (11/10/1949)
Optics: 1926: Fifth order Fresnel lens (now at Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic, Connecticut); now 300 mm.
Fog Signal: Originally fog bell with striking machinery.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes (occasionally).
The lighthouse is open occasionally for summer tours. For dates and information call (518) 828-5294. There are plans to open the lighthouse as a museum.
The lighthouse is in the middle of the river
between Hudson and Athens. It is best viewed by boat -- a fairly distant (bring binoculars) side view is available from the Athens side. From the New York State Thruway: Exit at Catskill. Follow Route 23 to 385 North, then take Leeds Athens Road (CR 74) to Athens. At the junction with Second St., take a right and follow it to the river and the park.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Henry D. Best (1874-1893); Frank Best (1893-1918); Nellie Best (1918); William J. Murray (1918-1922); August Kielberg (1922-1930); Emil Brunner (1930-1949); G.E. Speaks (U.S. Coast Guard, 1949-1957); Perry Peloubet (U.S. Coast Guard, 1957-1966); William Nestlen (U.S. Coast Guard, 1966-1984).