The original light formed a range with the Leughenaer Light. The current tower, designed by Gustave Umbdenstock in the Art Deco style, was built on a new pier in the late 1930s. The tower was protected by a blockhaus during World War II. After the light was automated in 1979, the structure deteriorated badly and it was saved only when a local group managed to have it recognized as a historical monument.
Tower Height: 118
Height of Focal Plane: 115
Characteristic and Range: Two green flashes every 6 seconds, visible for 11 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, circular brick tower, brown top.
This light is operational
1819: Wooden tower. 1851: Metal mast on a wooden hut. 1879: White tower, focal plane height of 33 feet.
Date Established: 1819
Date Present Tower Built: 1937
Date Automated: 1979
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.