City of Michigan City
The old 1858 keeper's house from Michigan City Light served as the keeper's dwelling for this light until 1940. In 2008, under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act, the ownership of Michigan City East Pierhead Lighthouse was transferred to the City of Michigan City.
Tower Height: 49
Description of Tower: White cylindrical steel tower on roof of fog signal building.
This light is operational
Integral brick fog signal building.
Date Established: 1904
Date Present Tower Built: 1904
Date Automated: 1960
Optics: 1904: Fifth order Fresnel lens; now rotating 2130c optic.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation
Open To Public? no
The Old Lighthouse Museum is nearby at the 1858 Michigan City Lighthouse keeper's dwelling.
This lighthouse can be seen from a marina on Lakeshore Drive in Michigan City, a short distance from the Old Michigan City Lighthouse.
Keepers: T.J. Armstrong (1904-1918); Phillip Sheridan (1918-1930); Walter Donovan (1930-1939).