Old Presque Isle Lighthouse
Contact Address Information:
5295 Grand Lake Road
This lighthouse was replaced by a new Presque Isle Lighthouse, a mile away, in 1871. It was bought by a private owner in 1897 for $75. At that time not much of the tower was left, and only the foundation of the keeper's house remained. The owners rebuilt the house and tower. The station was sold to the local township in 1995. Even though the light is inactive, there are stories that many people have seen a light glowing at night in the empty lantern room.
Tower Height: 38
Description of Tower: White, conical stone and brick tower.
This light is not operational
1840 1 1/2 story keeper's house.
Date Established: 1840
Date Present Tower Built: 1840
Date Deactivated: 1871
Optics: Fourth order Fresnel lens (relocated from SouthFox Island Lighthouse in the 1950s).
Current Use: Museum
Open To Public? Yes
The lighthouse station is maintained as a maritime museum. It is open from mid-May through mid -September, seven days a week, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. The lighthouse tower is also open to the public.
From US Route 23, take Highway 638 toward Lake Huron and watch for signs for the lighthouse. Turn left on Grand Lake Road and follow to the lighthouse.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Henry L. Woolsey (1840-1849), Stephen V. Thornton (1849-1855), Louis J. Metevier (1855-1861), Patrick Garrity (1861-1871).