Bureau des Phares et Balises
The original light here (1787) was the first flashing light in France; it employed a clockwork-based apparatus developed by three local residents after many failed experiments.
Tower Height: 23
Height of Focal Plane: 36
Characteristic and Range: Isophase green light (4-second period), visible for 8 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Green lantern on a square concrete building.
This light is operational
1834: Stone tower, 30 feet tall. 1915: White, circular iron tower, 43 feet tall, attached to a rectangular building (destroyed during World War II). 1950s: White concrete tower on a building, 23 feet tall.
Date Established: 1787
Date Present Tower Built: 1990s
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!