Canadian Coast Guard
This lighthouse was one of six limestone towers built in the Georgian Bay in the late 1850s, collectively known as the Imperial Towers. Nottawasaga Island is a bird sanctuary where an estimated 1,500 herring gulls nest along with great blue herons, great egrets, black crowned night herons, and double crested cormorants. In June of 2016 the Nottawasaga Lighthouse was listed by Canada’s National Trust as one of the Top Ten Endangered Places in Canada.
Tower Height: 80
Height of Focal Plane: 86
Description of Tower: Conical limestone tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1858
Date Present Tower Built: 1858
Date Automated: 1959
Optics: 1858: Second order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat only.
Keepers: George Collins (1859-1890), A. G. Clark (1890-1902), Fred Burmister (1902-1912), James McNabb (1912-1913), Anne McNabb (1913-1914), Thomas W. Bowie (1915-1924), Margaret Bowie (1924), Thomas E. Foley (1924-1932), Samuel Neally Hillen (1932-1942), William