An earlier tower that stood here was destroyed during the Fourth Crusade. This tower was built by the Genoese (as the "Tower of Christ") as part of a wall surrounding the district of Galata, directly opposite Byzantium (Constantinopolis). It was used as a lookout post, a prison, a warehouse, and for a time, as a lighthouse. The tower was restored in recent years and an elevator has been added. (There are also 143 stairs to the top.) It now houses a restaurant and nightclub, with a spectacular view of the city. It is open to the public as an observation tower during the day.
Tower Height: 206
Description of Tower: Cylindrical stone tower with conical roof.
This light is not operational
Date Present Tower Built: 1348
Current Use: Restaurant and nightclub, observation tower.
Open To Public? Yes.