Kincardine Yacht Club
This lighthouse held the rear light of the Kincardine Range until the range was discontinued in the late 1990s. It has continued as a privately maintained but officially listed light under the name Kincardine Light. The keeper's house is leased to the Kincardine Yacht Club and is used as a clubhouse. The members look after the light for the Coast Guard. During the summer, a Phantom Scottish Piper plays at the top of the lighthouse and pipes the sunset down each night. (This tradition is based on a legendary piper who guided ships to the harbour in thick fog.) Kincardine is also home to a Scottish festival -- see www.bmts.com/~kinscotfest/
Tower Height: 63
Height of Focal Plane: 80
Characteristic and Range: Red flash every 5 seconds.
Description of Tower: White, octagonal wooden tower, with vertical red stripe, red lantern, and red trim; on top of keeper's dwelling.
This light is operational
Integral keeper's dwelling.
Date Established: 1881
Date Present Tower Built: 1881
Date Automated: 1978
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum, clubhouse.
Open To Public? Yes.
The base of the tower houses a collection of artifacts on loan from the Bruce County Museum. The lantern is not open to the public but a student guide will give a tour of this area on request. Donations are welcomed.
Follow Kincardine Avenue off Highway 21 into the town; you will come right to the lighthouse downtown. Parking is available near the lighthouse.
Keepers: William Kay (1881-?); Thomas McGraw (?); ? Burley (?-1978).