This lighthouse became the property of the State of Michigan in 1948, then was transferred to Peninsula Township. It is managed today as a park. The station is on the 45th parallel, halfway between the equator and the North Pole. In season, the lighthouse is open to the public. The lighthouse is available for keeper program.
Tower Height: 30
Description of Tower: White, square wooden tower on roof of keeper's dwelling.
This light is not operational
Integral 1.5 story keeper's house, pumphouse, storage shed, garage, log home.
Date Established: 1870
Date Present Tower Built: 1870
Date Deactivated: 1933
Current Use: Part of town park.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Follw M-37 north to its end at the parking area for the park and lighthouse.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places