Grand Traverse Lighthouse Museum
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 43
This lighthouse is located within Leelanau State Park, which features coastal dunes, rustic campsites along Lake Michigan and eight miles of hiking trails. The light was replaced by a skeletal tower in 1972, and the Grand Traverse Lighthouse Foundation worked to preserve the station, which is now maintained as a museum. The lighthouse is owned by the state and leased to the Grand Traverse Lighthouse Museum.
Tower Height: 47
Height of Focal Plane: 50
Description of Tower: White, square brick tower on roof of keeper's dwelling, with red lantern.
This light is not operational
Integral 2.5 story brick keeper's house, oil house, fog signal building.
Date Established: 1852
Date Present Tower Built: 1858
Date Deactivated: 1972
Optics: 1858: Fifth order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: The foghorn is now operational, but only on a demonstration basis on Saturdays in the summer months.
Current Use: Museum.
Open To Public? Yes.
There is a museum in the keeper's quarters. A fourth order Fresnel lens is on display. The rooms are restored with period furnishings. Visitors may also climb to the lantern room for a spectacular view. Hours; May 1-May 31, 12-4 p.m.; June 1 - Labor Day, 10 a.m. - 7 p.m. ; day after
Labor Day - Oct 31, 12 - 4 p.m., Sat & Sun in the month of Nov. and closing
on the first Sunday in Dec. with a Christmas celebration.
From Traverse City, take M-22 to Northport. In Northport take M-201 and follow the signs to Leelanau State Park and the lighthouse. For information on Lake Michigan lighthouse tours, call the West Michigan Tourist Association at (800) 442-2084 or visit their website at www.wmta.org. For reservations, call Brenner Tours at 800-338-5963.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: David Moon (1852-1853), Philo Beers (1853-1857), Gilman Chase (1857-1859), H. J. Beers (1859-1861), Solomon Case (1861-1862), Dr. H. R. Schetterly (1862-1873), John C. Hall (1873-1874), Peter Nelson (1874-1890), George Buttars (1890-1919), Reynold Johnson (1919-1922), James McCormick (1922-1938), Paul Walter (1938-1939), Ernest Hutzler (1939-1945), Fred W. Leslie (1945- 1948), Edwin Johnson (1952-1954), Carl Walters (1954-1955), James M. Haley (1955-1958), John Olson (?), Albert W. McKinney (?), John Marken (1966-1967), Terry Herring (1972)
Nearby Lodging: Volunteer "keepers" spend two weeks at the lighthouse, greeting visitors and providing tours of the museum. Email info@GrandTraverseLighthouse.com for more information. Camping is also available at Leelanau State Park. For reservations using a credit card, call 1-800-44-PARKS.