Greenwich Parks and Recreation Department
Contact Address Information:
Greenwich Town Hall
101 Field Point Road
In 1998 the Greenwich Chamber of Commerce started a campaign to restore and relight Great Captain Island Light. The fundraising effort has raised $250,000 for restoration, and the Town of Greenwich will pay the rest of the cost. In 2012 the tower was relighted. There is a resident caretaker.
Tower Height: 51
Height of Focal Plane: 74
Description of Tower: Cast iron octagonal tower on granite keeper's quarters.
This light is not operational
1868 2.5 story granite keeper's quarters (integral to tower), oil house, storage building.
1830: 30-foot stone tower.
Date Established: 1830
Date Present Tower Built: 1868
Date Deactivated: 1970
Optics: c. 1838: 10 lamps and 14.5 inch reflectors; 1858: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: 1890: steam whistle; 1907: First class compressed air siren.
Current Use: Part of town park.
Open To Public? Grounds only (Greenwich residents only).
The lighthouse cannot be seen from the mainland. There is a ferry to the island for Greenwich residents only. Call (203) 622-7818 for information on the ferry. The lighthouse may be visible from some of the cruises of the schooner SoundWaters out of Stamford; call (203) 323-1978 for information.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: John W. Smith (1830-1834); James Merritt (1834-?); James Bride (1839-1848); Benjamin Merritt (1848-1849); George W. Anderson (1849-?); Charles McIntosh (?); Alexander (?) Worden (1856-1858); Gilbert Horton (1858-1861); James Merritt (1861-1863); James Travis (?) (1863-1864); George Lusk (?) (1864); James McCulloch (1864-1871); Eliakim F. Worden (1871-1890); George Porter (assistant, 1889); Eliakim F. Worden (Jr.?) (assistant, 1891); Frank Wadley (assistant, 1891); John Latour (assistant, 1891); John Shaw (assistant, 1891-1893); William Tooker (assistant, 1891-1892); Eugene Mulligan (1890-c. 1907); Julius Young (assistant, 1895); Otto Rudolph (assistant, 1903, 1907); Morell E. Hulse (assistant, 1905); Herbert S. Knowles (assistant, 1905); Louis F. Schlitt (assistant, c. 1907); Harry H. Fisher (assistant, 1907); John Nelson (c. 1916); Adam L. Kohlman (c. late 1920s to c.1944), James Honeycutt (Coast Guard, c. 1967-1969), Andrew Lampman (Coast Guard, c. 1968), Robert C. Jenkins (Coast Guard, c. 1968), Frank B. Abel (Coast Guard Officer in Charge 1969)