This lighthouse, built by James Walker (1781-1862) on a design patented by Alexander Mitchell (1780-1868), was very similar to the Chapman Light, located further east in the Thames Estuary. Originally 66 feet tall and painted in black and white bands, it was raised to 71 feet in 1881 and painted red; later (1916?) painted white.
Tower Height: 71
Height of Focal Plane: 45
Description of Tower: White screwpile lighthouse with a dwelling under the lantern.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1849
Date Deactivated: 1930s
Current Use: Destroyed (1954).
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!