Milwaukee County Parks/North Point Lighthouse Friends, Inc.
Because the surrounding trees were obscuring the light, this lighthouse was raised 35 feet to its present height in 1912. It is now part of Lake Park in Milwaukee. In October 2003, the property was transferred from the federal government to Milwaukee County Parks. A Department of Transportation grant and funds raised by the North Point Lighthouse Friends, Inc. have paid for the restoration of the tower and dwelling, which was competed in 2007.
Tower Height: 74
Height of Focal Plane: 154
Description of Tower: White, octagonal cast iron and steel tower.
This light is not operational
1888 2.5 story duplex keeper's house.
Date Established: 1855
Date Present Tower Built: 1888
Date Deactivated: 1994
Date Automated: 1933
Optics: 1888: Fourth order Fresnel lens (removed 1994).
Current Use: Historic landmark.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The lighthouse is within Lake Park, at Wahl Street and Terrace Street near Milwaukee's Lake Michigan waterfront. When restoration is complete, the tower will be open to the public for tours.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places