U.S. Coast Guard
This lighthouse was originally built in 1908 as a 26-foot tower; it 1932 it was raised to its present height by adding a cylindrical base.
Tower Height: 48
Height of Focal Plane: 42
Description of Tower: Red, conical steel tower on cylindrical steel base.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1893
Date Present Tower Built: 1932
Date Automated: 1973
Optics: Fifth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
This lighthouse is at the end of a breakwater on the north side of the Ahnapee River entrance, near downtown Algoma. It is best viewed from the southern breakwater.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Ole Hansen (1896-1899), Nelson Knudsen (1899-1901), Gustavus Umberham (1901-1913), Eugene Kimball (1913-1923), C. J. Graan (1923-19??)