The present tower here was built in 1709 by Cosimo III de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany. A navigational light was kept here for some years by the Agostinian monks of San Jacopo. A new lighthouse (Secche della Meloria) was built a short distance away in 1867. The annual Coppa dei Risi’atori rowing race begins at the at the Torre della Meloria.
Description of Tower: White square stone tower with arches in base, no lantern.
This light is not operational
Date Established: c. 1200s
Date Present Tower Built: 1709
Date Deactivated: c. 1867
Current Use: Historic attraction.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Accessible by boat only.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!