The original fourth order Fresnel lens from this lighthouse was restored and returned to the tower in 1998, and it has been relighted as a private aid to navigation. There are plans to restore all the buildings.
Tower Height: 44
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 20 seconds, visible for 14 miles.
Description of Tower: Square yellow brick tower attached to keeper's house.
This light is not operational
2.5 story brick keeper's house, oil house, barn, privy.
Date Established: 1870
Date Present Tower Built: 1895
Date Deactivated: 1960-1998
Date Automated: 1933
Optics: 1895: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Private aid to navigation.
Open To Public? By appointment.
From US Route 41, take the road that goes south toward Lac LaBelle. At the lake turn left and follow the road to its end at the Mendota Ship Canal; the lighthouse can be viewed across the canal. Keweenaw Excursions offers cruises that pass this lighthouse; see www.keweenawexcursions.com or call 906-482-0884, or email Kraig@portup.com.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: William Jilbert (1895-1933)