Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
Contact Address Information:
Route 1, Box 4
This lighthouse replaced the 1858 wooden tower, which still exists in ruins to the west of the present tower. The site is managed by the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
Tower Height: 65
Height of Focal Plane: 70
Description of Tower: Square pyramidal iron skeletal tower.
This light is operational
1938 two-story wood frame keeper's house
1858: Wooden tower (now in ruins).
Date Established: 1858
Date Present Tower Built: 1896
Date Automated: 1964
Optics: 1896: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now 300 mm.
Fog Signal: 1891: diaphone fog signal.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Boat trips leave Bayfield daily from late May to mid-October. The Apostle Islands Cruise Service offers a variety of trips, providing views of the islands as well as close looks at lighthouses. Schedules and fare information can be obtained from the visitor center in Bayfield. The Cruise Service also operates a water taxi service between Bayfield and any island for up to six passengers per trip. They also offer special lighthouse cruises. Rates and information can be obtained from the Cruise Service -- call (715) 779-3925 or (800) 323-7619, or email email@example.com, or see their website at www.apostleisland.com. The 5th Annual Apostle Islands Lighthouse Celebration is held each fall and features three weeks of special lighthouse cruises and lighthouse tours. Call (800) 779-4487 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Keepers: Frank H. Mersy, Sr. (assistant 1907-1908, head keeper 1908-1910); Alphonse L. Gustafson (c. 1930s-1940s).