Gasparilla Island State Park
This lighthouse is located on a beach within Gasparilla Island State Park. It was originally built in 1881 and served as the Delaware Breakwater Rear Range Light. It was discontinued in 1918, then disassembled in 1921. It was later reassembled in its present location. There was never a keeper's house at this location; the keeper of the Boca Grande (Gasparilla Island) Light also tended this light. This light served as the Boca Grande Entrance Range Rear Light until 2003, when its name was officially changed to Gasparilla Island Light.
Tower Height: 100
Height of Focal Plane: 105
Characteristic and Range: White light, 3 seconds on, 3 seconds off, with red sector; range 12 (white) and 10 (red) nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, cast-iron hexagonal pyramidal skeletal tower with central cylinder.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1932
Date Present Tower Built: 1881
Optics: 1932: Fourth order Fresnel lens. Now 250mm optic.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Gasparilla Island is a barrier island on Florida's southwest coast. Access to the island is via the Boca Grande Causeway at C.R. 775 and Placida. There is a toll to drive to Gasparilla Island. Florida state parks are open from 8 a.m. until sunset 365 days a year.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!