U.S. Coast Guard
Tongue Point Light was originally built at the end of an 1891 breakwater. In 1919, the shipping channel was widened in Bridgeport Harbor and the breakwater was shortened, and the lighthouse was moved 275 feet inland.
Tower Height: 31
Height of Focal Plane: 31
Characteristic and Range: Flashing green every four seconds.
Description of Tower: Black, conical cast iron tower on concrete foundation, cast iron black lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1895
Date Present Tower Built: 1895
Date Automated: 1954
Optics: 1895: Sixth-order Fresnel lens; now 155 mm optic.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Tongue Point Light is on the grounds of a large power station; the grounds are not open to the public. A close view is available from the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson Ferry. Call (203) 367-3043 for information. The ferry carries passengers and autos year round and there are frequent departures from both ports.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: C. Adolphus McNeil (1895-1904); Flora McNeil (1904-c. 1919).