The first two wooden lighthouses at this location both were destroyed by fire. This lighthouse was offered to a qualified new owner under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000, but there were no applicants and the lighthouse was sold for $65,000 through an auction in October 2005 to Peter Jurewicz of Smithfield, VA. The Coast Guard still maintains the optic and related equipment.
Tower Height: 40
Height of Focal Plane: 55
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 10 seconds.
Description of Tower: Red conical cast iron tower on cylindrical caisson.
This light is operational
1872: Wooden screwpile tower; 1891: second screwpile structure.
Date Established: 1870
Date Present Tower Built: 1914
Date Automated: 1964
Optics: 1914: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now RB 355 solar powered optic.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat only. The lighthouse can be seen from a boardwalk at Fort Monroe in Hampton and from beaches in Norfolk.