Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Hooper Strait Light   Map it!

Feedback to the database manager

Nearest Town or City:
St. Michaels, Maryland, United States

Location: Originally Tangier Sound, Chesapeake Bay.


Click to enlarge: Photo   
Photo: Larry Nohe
Related Photos

Managing Organization:
Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum

Telephone: 410-745-2916

Website: http://www.cbmm.org/

Contact Address Information:
Mill Street
P.O. Box 636
St. Michaels
Maryland, 21663, United States

Notes:
This lighthouse was slated for demolition in 1966. The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum purchased the building and moved it to its present site. The lighthouse was restored and opened to the public in 1967.

Tower Height: 41

Description of Tower: Octagonal lantern on roof of dwelling.

This light is not operational

Other Buildings?
Intergral white, wood, hexagonal dwelling with red roof.

Earlier Towers?
1827-1867: Lightships; 1867: Screw pile lighthouse, destroyed by ice.

Date Established: 1827

Date Present Tower Built: 1879

Tower Moved?
1967

Date Deactivated: 1966

Date Automated: 1954

Optics: 1879: Fifth order Fresnel lens, now fourth order Fresnel lens.

Current Use: Attraction at museum.

Open To Public? Yes.

Museum?
The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum is open daily all year. Summer: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. Fall/Spring: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Winter: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's days.

Directions:
On the Easton By-pass/Route 322 South, there are signs to the Museum and to St. Michaels. At the fourth traffic light, turn right onto Route 33 West to St. Michaels. After about 9 miles Route 33 becomes the main street of St. Michaels. About half a mile into St. Michaels, you will see a Highs convenience store on the right. Turn right just past it onto Mill Street. You will see the Museum at the end of the street. The Museum parking lot is on the left-hand side of the street with a big sign.

Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: G.W. Keane (1867-1869), John S. Cornwell (1869-1877 and 1879-1884), Zebedee Harper (1885-1898), William K. Slacum (1899-1901), George A. Hart (1902-1912), Ortho Bounds (1922), W.O. Simpkins (1924). Assistants: B.F> Messick, John W. Hastings, William D. Elliot, George W. Wheatly, George A. Hart, Albert Olsen, Sigbjorn Johson, C.H. Fulcher, Ernest H. Bradford, Charles Vette, H.J. McGrath, Ulman Owens, Olaf A. Olsen, William J. Moody.

Featured
Products

Subscribe
to Lighthouse Digest


USLHS Marker Fund


Lighthouse Jewelry


Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt













Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History