U.S. Bureau of Land Management
The first light at this station was mounted on the fog signal building. The Coast Guard still maintains the active optic. The Bureau of Land Management, which owns the property, plans to develop it as a visitor site.
Height of Focal Plane: 44
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 2.5 seconds.
Description of Tower: White square concrete tower.
This light is operational
1893 two-story wood frame keeper's house, fog signal building.
Date Established: 1893
Date Present Tower Built: 1936
Date Automated: 1974
Optics: 300 mm optic.
Fog Signal: Automated horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Stuart Island is accessible only by boat or small plane. It is possible to dock at the island and walk a two-mile path to the light station.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!