This lighthouse was destroyed by Hurricane Juan in 1985.
Description of Tower: Square cylindrical tower on roof of dwelling.
This light is not operational
First lighthouse destroyed in storm 1867. 1875: iron skeletal tower, with light 111 feet above sea level; this tower fell over in 1894. A lens-lantern on the keeper's house served until 1917.
Date Established: 1857
Date Present Tower Built: 1917
Date Deactivated: c. 1950s
Date Automated: 1939
Optics: 1875: Second order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: Elijah Chester (1857-?), Thomas C. Barton (1865-?), Cornelius Canty (?-1898)