Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Heceta Head Light  

Feedback to the database manager

Nearest Town or City:
Yachats, Oregon, United States

Location: South of Siuslaw River.


Click to enlarge: Photo   
Photo: Lynn Lary
Related Photos

Managing Organization:
Oregon State Parks

Telephone: 541-547-3416

Website: http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_124.php

Notes:
The keeper's house at this station is owned by the U.S. Forest Service; it is run as a bed and breakfast inn. The interpretive programs and maintenance of the house is funded by lodging fees, donations and proceeds from the gift shop. Oregon State Parks owns the lighthouse itself. In 2013, the Lighthouse tower underwent a $1.3 million restoration.

Tower Height: 56

Height of Focal Plane: 205

Description of Tower: White, conical brick and stucco tower.

This light is operational

Other Buildings?
1893 two-story keeper's house, fog signal building, two oil houses, garage.

Date Established: 1894

Date Present Tower Built: 1894

Date Automated: 1963

Optics: 1894: First order Fresnel lens, still in use.

Current Use: Active aid to navigation, bed and breakfast inn.

Open To Public? Yes.

Museum?
Tours of the lighthouse are conducted mid March to October and on weekends just prior to Christmas. From Memorial Day through September, tours of the lighthouse are available 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. daily. There is no charge for tours but donations for restoration projects are gladly accepted. To arrange for groups or tours during off season, contact Washburne State Park (541) 547-3416. The lighthouse observation area is open all year during park hours. Public tours of the lighthouse keeper's house are given from Memorial Day through Labor Day; call (541) 547-3696 for information on these tours.

Directions:
The lighthouse is located near US 101, about 15 miles north of Florence.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: Andrew P. C. Hald (1894-?); Olaf Hansen (assistant 1896-?; principal keeper 1904-1920); Frank DeRoy (assistant, 1913-1920, principal keeper 1920-1925); Harry Waters (assistant? circa 1925); Clifford "Cap" Hermann (1925-1950); Oswald Allik (1957-1963).

Nearby Lodging: The bed and breakfast in the keeper's house welcomes guests year round. A seven-course gourmet breakfast is served each morning in the dining room and is included in the price of the room. Call (541) 547-3696 for information and reservations. See www.HecetaLighthouse.com or email keepers@HecetaLighthouse.com for more information.

Featured
Products

Subscribe
to Lighthouse Digest


USLHS Marker Fund


Lighthouse Jewelry


Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt













Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History