Edenton Historical Commission
This lighthouse once stood offshore on a screwpile foundation. It was moved onshore in 1955 and became a private residence. Edenton's Historical Commission purchased the lighthouse and, in May 2007, the building was moved by barge to Colonial Park at Edenton's downtown waterfront area. There are plans to restore the building and to make it a center for water activities such as kayaking and canoeing. The Washington County Historical Society has built a replica of the earlier 1866 Roanoke River Lighthouse for use as a maritime museum in Plymouth.
Tower Height: 35
Description of Tower: White, square wood tower attached to two-story keeper's house.
This light is not operational
Integral two-story wood keeper's house.
1835: Lightship. 1866: Screwpile lighthouse, destroyed by ice in 1885.
Date Established: 1835
Date Present Tower Built: 1887
Date Deactivated: 1941
Optics: 1903: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: Originally bell.
Current Use: Historic attraction.