Hunting Island State Park
Contact Address Information:
2555 Sea Island Parkway
This lighthouse is endangered by erosion; Hunting Island is losing about 15 feet per year. It was moved more than a mile from the beach in 1889.
Tower Height: 136
Height of Focal Plane: 140
Characteristic and Range: Fixed white light with a more intense flash every 30 seconds.
Description of Tower: Brick-lined conical cast iron tower, top third black, lower two thirds white.
This light is operational
1859: Brick tower, destroyed in Civil War.
Date Established: 1859
Date Present Tower Built: 1875
Date Deactivated: 1933-?
Optics: 1875: Second order Fresnel lens
Current Use: Historic attraction.
Open To Public? Yes.
Lighthouse tours are held daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tours are self-guided with an attendant on duty to answer questions. Guided tours are held three times a week from March to November. (After being closed for repairs for 21 months, the lighthouse reopened in February 2005.)
Hunting Island State Park is 16 miles east of Beaufort on US 21.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Nearby Lodging: Camping and overnight cabins are available at Hunting Island State Park.