The original 1838 Mayo Beach Lighthouse was a keeper's house with the lantern on the roof. A new cast iron tower and wood frame keeper's house were built in 1881. The keeper's house is now a private residence. The oil house also still stands. In 1925 the tower was removed and shipped to California where it eventually became the Point Montara Lighthouse.
This light is not operational
1838: Lantern on roof of keeper's house, 36 feet above sea level; 1881: White, conical cast iron tower.
Date Established: 1838
Date Deactivated: 1922
Optics: 1857: ? order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Keeper's house is private home.
Open To Public? No.
The keeper's house can be seen at Mayo Beach inm Wellfleet, but keep in mind that it is a private residence and do not trespass on the property.
Keepers: Joseph Holbrook (1838-1865), William Atwood (1865-1876), Sarah Atwood (1876-1891), James Smith (1891-?), Charles Turner (c. 1890s-1922)