Canadian Coast Guard
"Quaco" is from the language of the local Indian tribe (Mi’kmaq). It means "Haunt of the Hooded Seal." The lantern and lens from the 1883 tower here are incorporated into a lighthouse replica that serves as the St. Martins Tourism Centre. Another Fresnel lens from this lighthouse is displayed at the Quaco Museum in St. Martins.
Tower Height: 38
Height of Focal Plane: 85
Characteristic and Range: Fl W 10s, visible for 21 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White square tower on the corner of a white square building.
This light is operational
1835: Tower with red and white horizontal bands. 1883: White, square wooden tower with dwelling attached.
Date Established: 1835
Date Present Tower Built: 1976?
Fog Signal: Automated horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Take West Quaco Road off Route 111.