Canadian Coast Guard
This lighthouse is built on a small, barren, rocky island. The present lantern room was installed in 1967. Since the light was automated in 1996 and the keepers were removed, the tower and keeper's house have deteriorated greatly. A cleanup at Gannet Rock was completed by the Coast Guard in early 2003. Sheetrock was removed from the interior of the dwelling and all trash was also removed. In 2010, the stations was declared unsafe and off limits. It will be left to decay from the elements.
Tower Height: 75
Height of Focal Plane: 93
Characteristic and Range: White flash every six seconds, visible for 19 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Wooden (with outer wall of cement) octagonal tower, black and white vertical stripes, with octagonal aluminum lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1831
Date Present Tower Built: 1831-tower raised in height in 1905
Date Automated: 1996
Optics: A second order Fresnel lens from this lighthouse is now at the Grand Manan Museum.
Fog Signal: Automated horn. Characteristic: Blast 2s; sil. 3s; blast 2s; sil. 3s; blast 2s; sil. 48s.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat only. Landing at Gannet Rock is very difficult.
Keepers: ? Lamb (1831-1835), E.G. Miller (1835-1837, drowned on duty), Jonathon Kent (1837-1843), Henry McLaughlin (1843-1853), Walter B. McLaughlin (1843-1880), Lincoln Harvey (1898-1904), Coleman Dalzell (1904-1910), Sidney Tatton (1910-1912), Allen Wilson (1912-1919), Arthur Wilson (1919-1929), Donald W. Wilson (1929-1944), Garfield Wilson (1944), Hayward Forsythe (1944-1946), Frank Linton (1946-1947), Frank M. Tucker (1947-1955), Bernard G. Deveau (1955-1959), Howard N. Ingalls (1959-1962), Ralph N. Maker (1962-1963), Lawrence Benson (1963-1966), Addison Naves (1966-1971), Douglas S. Daggett (1971-1974), Donald Denton (1974-1982), Sidney Guptill (1982-1989), Barry S. Bagley (1989-1996).