Rose Blanche Lighthouse, Inc.
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 21
This is the last remaining lighthouse of its type in Canada. The lighthouse had fallen into ruins and was reconstructed between 1996 and 1999. The lighthouse was relit on August 3, 2002. Visitors to the lighthouse may also visit the quarry where the granite was cut for the original construction and the reconstruction. Elementary schools and youth groups are encouraged to visit Rose Blanche. The history of the lighthouse and the site is presented, and they are given a tour of the site and encouraged to ask questions. On "Lighthouse Day" there is a children’s time with a coloring contest, face painting, and more.
Height of Focal Plane: 95
Description of Tower: Granite tower attached to granite dwelling.
This light is operational
Integral keeper's dwelling.
Date Established: 1873
Date Present Tower Built: 1873 (rebuilt 1996-1999)
Date Deactivated: c. 1941-2002
Optics: 1873: Fourth order lens; now sixth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Museum, private aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
The restored interior of the lighthouse is open to the public in season. There is a small entry fee.
The lighthouse is 30 miles (50 kilomteters) east of Port aux Basques. Take Route 470 from Route 1.