On January 12, 2020, the Lion’s Head Lighthouse in Lion’s Head, Ontario, Canada was destroyed in a storm.
The first Lion’s Head Lighthouse dated back to 1903 when it was simply a light on a pole. In 1913 it was replaced with a tower typical of many other minor Canadian Lighthouses. When the lighthouse was discontinued in 1933, the Canadian Coast Guard burned it to the ground. In 1983, using the original plans, area students built an exact replica of the lighthouse, which is the one that was now destroyed.
Locals are now planning to rebuild another replica of the lighthouse, which they hope to complete this year.
This story appeared in the
Mar/Apr 2020 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.