The Muhlenfeldt Point Lighthouse on the island of St. Thomas in the Danish West Indies was first established in 1844 by the Danish government. Rebuilt in 1878 the tower was painted different colors over the years.
In 1878 it was described as being a red tower, in 1912 it was described as being a white tower with a green lantern, and in 1916 it was described as being a red tower. In 1917-1918 when Denmark sold what is now the U.S. Virgin Islands to the United States for $25 million in gold, its management was taken over by the United States Lighthouse Service.
Located at the southeast entrance to the harbor of Charlotte Amalie on the island of St. Thomas the lighthouse no longer stands. Exactly when it was deactivated and demolished is unclear, but the site is now occupied by the Marriott Beach Resort.
This story appeared in the
Mar/Apr 2020 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.